Brian Plain CFP®
Growing up the son of two small business owners, I knew I wanted to start my own financial planning practice, but the time never seemed right. Then in March 2009, I was let go from my financial advisor position. So at age 29 and with the loving support of my wife, it seemed like as good a time as any to take the leap and start my own practice. Now 7 years later, my only regret is not leaping sooner. We've worked hard to build a practice that supports our dreams and allows us to enjoy the lifestyle we desire.
The decision to start from scratch would not have been possible without the support of my wife, Michelle. She has patience that I will never possess. I'm lucky to call her both my wife and best friend.
Michelle is passionate about nutrition, health and fitness. She’s also a runner, traveler, and foodie. While she’s an HR business partner by day, Michelle is a wonderful mother to our daughter Reagan who joined our family in June 2013. To say Reagan is our world would be an understatement and yes, she’s got both Mom and Dad wrapped firmly around her finger.
My day usually begins at a local coffee shop or co-working space with espresso, which I am a snob about. I played a lot of tennis growing up and I still play at a semi-decent level most days. We enjoy taking walks around our neighborhood in Riverside, making frequent trips to the Brookfield Zoo with Reagan, and visiting our local farmers markets in Oak Park & Riverside.
Travel is also an important part of our lifestyle. We try to spend part of the Chicago winter in warmer weather. We've visited Costa Rica, Jamaica, and Mexico in recent years. We also spend time each summer in Rhode Island with my family, take frequent trips to the lake in Michigan, and make it a priority to regularly visit the East Coast to see family and friends.
BRIAN PLAIN, CFP®
- Graduated from Stonehill College with a B.A. in Finance in 2002
- Completed the CFP® Certification Education Program at Northwestern University in 2007
- Became a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER (TM) professional in January 2008
- Launched lifestyle financial planning practice for Gen X families in Oak Park & Riverside in 2009
- Celebrated my six year practice anniversary in May 2015
- Commissioner - Village of Riverside Economic Development Commission
- Former President & Board Member of the Oak Park Tennis Center
- Current Board Member at Work Wright
- Former Board Member at the Oak Park-River Forest Community Foundation